Thursday, September 24, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009!

With NaNoWriMo 37 days away from starting I figured it deserved a blog post!
If you haven't checked out the website yet, do yourself a favour and look at it. Even if you're not into writing, it's a really neat challenge to watch others do.

Last year I did some sort of fantasy novel, about (don't laugh at me here) this girl who's family is abnormally...normal. I know, it sounds really dumb, and I think it did sort of end up that way. But hey, I wrote it in a month. I hit the 50K mark with it, but never actually finished it, primarily because my most recent chapter was basically this guy running back and forth and I'd have to have revised it dramatically to actually get anywhere with the next chapter.

This year I hope to win with a completely different sort of novel, a murder mystery set in a ballet company. It's a bit of a long shot for me since I haven't even read all that many mysteries, nevermind written them, but the idea is stuck in my head now, and it's the only one I've got.

NaNo is perfect for me because I love writing but don't tend to write unless I have either a specific assignment or a strict deadline. Last year I wrote about 5 times more than I ever have before, and in a month! I learnt an incredible amount, about writing, deadlines, and how much coffee helps those two things along.

So, my blogging buddies, my challenge to you is to join me in my writing quest! Comment or make a reply to my post on your blog about what you're doing for NaNo this year!

6 comments:

  1. You drink coffee too?!? Oh no...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still say your previous Nano novel was good. But anyway, good luck! I'll be participating too. No ideas yet, but last year I only thought of one a couple of days before Nov. 1st, so...hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still flip flopping on whether or not to do Nano. I know I should, it's really really really fun and a great experience but I'm still indecisive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOSH! You are doing NaNo! Why are you indecisive if you know it's a really really really fun and great experience? Just do it! Even if you only get to a couple thousand words, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done NaNo, but I've thought about it. I love the outline that you have so far Dot, and although I'll miss seeing you in November, I know you will re-surface in December. :)

    ReplyDelete