Thursday, July 16, 2009

Graphic Novels

I recently read two graphic novels, The Plain Janes, and it's sequel, Janes In Love, both by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg.
They were good, but I wouldn't say they were excellent. Parts of the plot were very unoriginal, there's a Jane for each stereotype. Jayne, the nerd, Jane, the theatre geek, Polly Jane, the sporty tomboy. The protagonist of the story (Jane of course), however, was more original. The plot and writing style also seemed more authentic.
The story starts when Jane (the main one) is a victim of a terrorist attack. After she has recovered, her parents and her move away to the suburbs/country (where exactly they move didn't seem completely clear to me). Starting at a new school, it's the story of her emotional recovery in a way, and how she tries to escape through art.

These were one of the first few graphic novels that I've read, so today I went to the library to look for more. I didn't really want manga, or a graphic novel entirely about relationships so I didn't manage to find any at that particular location.
I think a good graphic novel can be really cool, sort of like a comic book, but with a deeper message and more interesting plot and dialogue. You can visualize it better with the illustrations and it's fun to see the characters "acting it out."

Anyone know of any graphic novels like this? Or graphic novels different from my idea of a good one? Do you like graphic novels? Comment!

4 comments:

  1. I've never actually read a graphic novel, but they sound like they'd be interesting. I'll have to try reading one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few graphic novels and have liked some more than others.

    The most memorable was probably "Maus", but it was also pretty intense because it's about the holocaust.

    It's a section of the library/bookstore I usually tend to skip over, but maybe next time I'll take another look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also trying to get into graphic novels (I'm open to manga too, but I think that would be a harder sell). One good G.N. I read a while ago is called "American Born Chinese". It's really quirky/unique/weird, but in a good way. Other than that I can't really think of anything...I'll let you know if I see something good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a look (as you know) at the Strathcona Library and was dismayed to see how many were about relationships. I have found this to be true in the teen sections of libraries - falling in love, vampire love, violence and/or sexuality etc. I wonder if there are particular authors who produce graphic novels that are what you are looking for? I'll keep checking when I'm at the library.
    I've never read a graphic novel, but you have inspired me to take a second look. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete