Thursday, August 20, 2009

New Ukulele!

A few days ago I went out shopping for a new ukulele. My old purple one just wasn't cutting it anymore. It was great to see if I liked playing and for $30 bucks it wasn't a bad deal. But now I knew I did like it and I did need a new one.
We found a store we liked that had good instruments for good prices and there it was. My Oscar Schmidt OU-3 concert uke.

The case was a used one which the clerk threw in for free, it mostly fits.

Ah, the abalone inlay...

Side view

Back view

My old uke was a soprano which is one size down from a concert. Concert ukes have a slightly deeper sound, but there's not a huge difference other than that I don't think.

Concert and soprano


Inside the case was a felt pick. Apparently most people just use their fingers, but if they do use a pick it's traditionally felt.

I really need a better background for my images.


I've sort of dropped clarinet temporarily. But being the type of person that doesn't usually keep up with goals like that, 1 out of 2 is a big achievement.
Maybe a new goal will be to learn a new instrument every summer. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Well, I'm off to obsess practice some more.

Thanks for reading,

Dorothy



6 comments:

  1. I can really hear the difference in the sound, and I'm glad you decided to "shop around". I think you got a much better quality instrument for way less than at GP. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one beautiful Ukulele Dorothy! Wow. A gorgeous instrument. It must be fun playing different instruments. (she says wistfully)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!
    This is truly and awesome instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Uke and you play it well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool Uke! Glad you have fun playing it.

    ReplyDelete