Thursday, January 21, 2010

Album for the Young

A couple months ago I picked up a copy of Schumann's Album for the Young. I had played some of the pieces from it that the Suzuki method (the method I use for piano) had put in their books, and had always wanted to see it in it's entirety. When I looked through it I really liked it, and decided to play through the whole thing.

The album contains 43 short pieces and so far I think I'm on number 9. They're pretty simple (though they get harder as the book goes on) so at the moment I'm getting through one every week or two.

It really appeals to me because each piece is like a painting, as you walk through the gallery you see the soldiers, the orphans, the sort of, well as far as I can understand it, German "anti-claus" and so much more crammed in there.

There's also something really satisfying about playing through a whole collection like that. To do it in it's entirety (well, who knows, I may end up skipping a few, but still).

Alright, well I think that's my post for this evening (super early morning?), thanks for reading, and be sure to leave a comment if you enjoyed it!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! That's cool. I want to hear some of them!

    A couple years ago, I worked my way through 25 Easy and Progressive Studies by Burgmuller, which is the same idea. I think they're a fair bit easier then the Schumann though, but there's a couple of them in the Suzuki repertoire too (Limpid Stream and Arabesque)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont know anything about music but i luv how you explained about it being like a painting. Thanks,
    Esme

    ReplyDelete