Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cello!

A couple weeks ago I rented a cello! It's an instrument I've wanted to play for a long time now, and when we found out that one of my mom's friends was an experienced cellist and willing to give me lessons in exchange for babysitting her kids, it looked like a great opportunity!


So far I've had one lesson, which was awesome, and I feel like I'm starting to slowly get it. I find the fingering part pretty easy (probably from ukulele) and also because my cello has these nifty stripes that tell me where to put my fingers. Eventually I'll probably take them off if I'm still on this cello when I'm more advanced, they're just for beginners, but for now I love them.



On the other hand, I find the bowing part of it REALLY hard. My hand keeps cramping up and I find it hard to hold it. It just feels so odd to me still. I think it'll get better as I progress, though.

Last summer my goal was to be moderately-okay at ukulele, and this summer I have a bit of a grander ambition, cello. I think it will be quite a bit more difficult to get proficient at, but I'm willing to put the work in. I love the rich, deep tone of it, and even though right now all I can play is the basics like "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" in a very scratchy way, I'm loving it.

Sorry my posts have been so sporadic, I will have a new post coming up as I've just purchased two new ukuleles. (I know. That makes 5, though I am planning to give away my Mahalo.) Those little things are so darn addictive! On the ukulele forums I go on they call it Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, if you think I'm bad, some of the people there have over 10!

As always, thanks for reading!

Dorothy

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you are always wanting to try new things Dot! Your cello is beautiful, and I am very impressed with how well you are doing. The pictures you took are great! They not only make the cello look very magnificent, but make our piano look great too. :) Perhaps you can post again about your progress as the weeks go by. Keep posting - I love reading your blog. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way cellos look ...they're so elegant and cool. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what are the measurements for the finger markers?

    ReplyDelete