Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A note in a library book

A couple days I found this note in a library copy of, oddly enough, Life of Pi by Yann Martel which I'm reading for my book club. (It's pretty good so far, but I'll save all that for another post)

"If you take this out, you will be taking out your soul.
-A reader
Please keep this in!!!"



"Note from Author,
THIS IS ABOUT
Fat KID CAMP

Suzanne Collins"



Okay, so first of all, the "you will be taking out your soul" bit made me laugh out loud.

Second, while I haven't read all that much of the book yet, as far as I know it isn't about "Fat KID CAMP", whatever that is. And why did the "author" capitalize "KID CAMP" but not "Fat"?

Third, who the heck is Suzanne Collins? If they're referring to the author of the novel, I think Yann Martel is a little too different to be a spelling error.
Or do they mean the author of the note? Or was Suzanne's name added later? Or am I just over-analyzing a random note probably from a bored teenager?

These questions spinning around my head, I decided to add my own little phrase to the note:

"What an...interesting little note.
I 'spose I will leave it in. -D"


I think I might like to start my own note. But perhaps with less confusing capitalization and references to some sort of camp.
I'll post photos if I end up doing so.

Alright, well, that's about it for now.

~Dorothy

3 comments:

  1. Woah, that's weird. I wonder how long it will be until someone removes the paper.
    But yeah, you should totally try that at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny!
    wouldn't it be fun to write a whole bunch of notes and put them in books at the library?
    this just gave me an idea... thanks!
    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I found out "Suzanne Collins" is an author of a kids' book called "The Hunger Games". No relation to Life of Pi there...

    ReplyDelete