Tuesday, June 23, 2009

WLBC Day 2: Geocaching


Well, it's the morning of Day 2 when I should be doing something productive, but hey, I do need to get this done.

Today's post is about a wonderful sport called Geocaching. All you need is a GPS and access to a computer. (To print of coordinates and clues.)
It's essentially a high-tech treasure hunt.

"Caches" are hidden all over the world, some urban, some more rural. They can be pretty well any size.
I've seen everything from a tiny metal capsule in a park (one I planted, actually) to a large ice cream pail hidden in the woods. Once you've found the cache, you take an item and leave an item (if it's big enough to do so) and sign your username both in the log book in the cache and online.

We've been caching on and off since 2004 and it's amazing seeing finding caches in places you've walked past hundreds of times and never noticed.
It's also really fun to place them, choosing new and challenging locations for the next geocacher to come by.

I hope this post made sense.

~Dorothy

1 comment:

  1. They can be bigger than ice cream pails. I found a cache once that was one of those huge blue plastic pail/box things. And another that was a (smallish) black plastic garbage can. My favorites are the teeny-tiny caches, though. So fun to see how small you can go while still fitting a log in there.

    ReplyDelete