Friday, June 26, 2009

WLBC Day 5 (kinda): Random Acts of Kindness

So technically it's 12:22 AM in my time zone which means that I guess this is Day 6 if you want to be official. But oh well. I haven't gone to sleep yet so I'm going to count it as Day 5.

Today's (Tonight's? This morning's?) post is about Random Acts of Kindness as you probably guessed. Those little things that brighten someone's day.
It could be anything from holding the door for someone to buying them a coffee. I think it has an even more powerful effect coming from a stranger.
There's something special about letting a person that you've never met before know that you care and in a way inviting them into your life.

I recently watched a little video about a group trying to inspire people to have a better body image by leaving nice little notes like "You're worth it!", "You're perfect just the way you are!" etc. on mirrors in bathrooms, in weight loss sections of grocery stores and similar.
While a small gesture, sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest difference.

Sometimes in society we have a kind of "no touch" policy. Don't engage with anyone, don't smile, just keep walking.
And I think this can and is starting to change. We're all in the same boat here, guys, all living lives right next door to each other. So why not help each other out a little?

By the same token, some comedy can do the same thing. ImprovEverywhere is a perfect example of this. They do something fun and unusual to make someone's day special, and to give them a story to tell.

I want to do these sorts of things more often, and opportunities are everywhere, so why not? If everyone did it, just look where we'd be.


I really hope this post made some amount of sense. I think this blog is turning into the sort of "OMG my dog pooped!!1!!" kind due to my laziness and lack of brain. :/

Sleepily yours,
~Dorothy

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post Dorothy, and definitely NOT in the "OMG MY DOG POOPED!11!!11" category. I wish we all did more RAOK. It really would make the world a better place.

    I'm going to make a conscience effort to do more. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dan...totally not one of *those* posts. It's actually very thoughtful.
    That's why I love Improv Everywhere...even the things they do to confuse people is kind of a RAOK...uniting people using confusion, or something. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. RAOK make such a difference to our world. I wonder if Improv Everywhere would do something at the Shakespeare Festival? There are lots of people who would participate!

    ReplyDelete