Monday, February 9, 2009

Highland Dancing Exams

I have my biannual Highland Dance exams coming up this month.
It basically consists of an examiner coming from Scotland, my dance teacher setting up one studio with a table, and then you go in and do dances for her with progressively harder steps as you make your way through the levels.
Sounds okay, right?
That part is.
The part that really drives me nuts is the theory exams.
You have to memorize things from the text book, take first position for instance (same as Ballet):

The heels are together, with the weight equally distributed on both feet, which are turned out to form an angle of 90 degrees (each foot being at an angle of 45 from the line of direction). The dancer may be standing with both feet flat on the ground, or may be poised on the balls of the feet.

I dunno, I don't know anyone who would describe your standard first position that way.
I'm still attempting to get out of this particular exam, but my dance teacher really wants me to do it.

Dreading this exam,
~Dorothy

1 comment: