Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Other people's mail experiments!

I did a quick Google search of "postal experiments" and came up with this hilarious page of a group testing the limits of the US postal system:

http://www.directcreative.com/postal-experiments.html

Now, I don't have quite enough guts to try much of what they did on Canada Post, but perhaps I could try putting the stamp on the other side of an envelope. I don't think it would be a problem as I've managed to mail envelopes without stamps before, plus my tiny envelope had the stamps on the bottom, rather than the top and that went quickly and without even a note.
Letters with incorrect postal codes or none at all have also made it, so I don't think that's really an issue either.
I remember being taught in Girl Guides that you had to veeeery carefully put the person's address in big capital letters in a very particular spot, and that the stamp had to be placed exactly. We spent probably half an hour learning about that, though it would seem that it really doesn't matter.
Something I think would be really cool would be to know a postal worker and hear about the stranger things that people have tried to mail- and how they handled it.
Also, if anyone has any ideas for experiments, or has done any before, I'd love to hear about it!

I think that's all for now.

~Dorothy

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of people writing the address on a big red rubber ball and sticking the stamps right on it and it getting through!
    for a while Mom was sending mail art to a friend in Ontario with the wrong address and the people she was sending them to got them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send two letters to the same address from the same mailbox at the same time and see if they arrive together.

    The last time I tried it they didn't :)

    ReplyDelete